The Coalition of State Rheumatology Organizations was founded on June 9, 2003, and formally incorporated several weeks later. The initial development for this new organization began over a year earlier when several state society presidents met and discussed common concerns over issues that were impacting practicing rheumatologists around the country. Formal planning started after a second larger informal gathering of state society presidents occurred in the fall of 2002 and again discussions gravitated to the same topic.
Since its beginning CSRO representatives and officers have had the pleasure of assisting groups of rheumatologists in many areas in the formation of new state societies and encouraging active societies to incorporate advocacy into their normal activities. As an organization, CSRO strives to achieve the following objectives:
- Promote state rheumatology society activities that advocate access to the highest quality medical care for rheumatic disease patients with autoimmune inflammatory and degenerative diseases
- Assist state or regional organizations to become formalized societies and provide leadership on rheumatologic and musculoskeletal health issues through advocacy, awareness, communications, education, and sharing of research with respect to rheumatologic and musculoskeletal diseases
- Provide a network for state societies to exchange information regarding issues that pertain to the delivery of high quality care to Rheumatic disease patients
- Educate insurers, government officials, corporations and other entities of the impact and importance of rheumatic diseases and rheumatologic care when considering policy/procedural changes affecting that care
- Provide a forum for its members or their state or regional professional organizations to create and advance a rheumatologic and musculoskeletal health agenda at private, public, and political levels
- Collaborate with patient organizations, national and international societies and other public and private organizations whenever possible and appropriate in order to achieve the above stated objectives